Vegan whipped cream is a tricky one for us. I’ve tried the recipes with soaked cashews and I just don’t like them. I don’t seem to grind the nuts enough to get a nice consistency – it’s always grainy and the recipe just takes forever. I’m lazy I guess plus while I’m okay with cashews I’m always a bit nervous as I’m really allergic to almonds.
So I’ve played around and come up with something easy, nut free, and this works a treat! There are also some vegan whipped cream recipes out there that call for the top half of a tin of coconut milk that has been refrigerated. Somehow I resent throwing out the rest of the coconut water – now I know I’m being absurd but that’s why I’ve gone for coconut cream instead (I also prefer the texture) but you can use the top part of cold tinned coconut milk if you prefer. It works only if the coconut cream is refrigerated.
It’s firmer if you leave it in the fridge for a bit, but it’s nice straight away too. We sometimes add in 1/4 cup sifted cocoa for chocolate whipped cream.
Vegan Whipped Cream (Nut Free)
- March 26, 2019
- Print this
- 500 ml Coconut Cream - chilled, this is key
- '1/4 cup icing sugar - sifted
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Step 1
- Sift the corn starch and the icing sugar.
- Step 2
- Put coconut cream in a large bowl with the vanilla.
- Step 3
- With your hand beater start beating the coconut cream on high. Using your sifter add the sugar and cornstarch mixture slowly.
- Step 4
- Keep beating until you get soft peaks. Taste and add more sifted sugar if you want a sweeter cream.
- Step 5
- Chill in the fridge.
- Step 6
- You don’t need me to tell you how to use it! Store, in the fridge, in an airtight tupperware container for a few days.