A bit of Halloween fun – light and airy vanilla cupcakes decorated as Mummies…with their little eyes peering out…enjoy!
Vegan Mummy Cupcakes
- November 7, 2018
- Print this
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar (yes...caster...not granulated)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (if you don't like paste then use extract but the paste does give a lovely depth of flavour)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp melted non dairy margarine (I use Pure Sunflower)
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I use Rice Dream - we are soya free here too!)
- Step 1
- Preheat your oven to 170°C or 350°F
- Step 2
- Line your muffin tin with muffin cases
- Step 3
- This is a really simple sponge – mix the flour and sugar together so it’s well combined.Add in the melted margarine, vanilla, baking soda and cider vinegar – give it a quick stir.
- Step 4
- Add in the cup of non dairy milk and stir to combine – don’t over mix it.
- Step 5
- The batter will be quite runny – don’t worry – that’s why you get a light sponge.
- Step 6
- Fill the muffin cases up 2/3rd of the way and bake for 15 minutes or so. Test with a toothpick to make sure they are done.
- Step 7
- Use the standard buttercream recipe https://allergymums.co.uk/icing-vegan-buttercream-or-glaze/
- Step 8
- Spread the buttercream on each cupcake to make an even layer.
- Step 9
- Put a bit of cornflour on a board and on your rolling pin. Roll out a 1 inch square piece of ready to roll royal icing in black. Cut out the pupils of the eyes using a piping nozzle.
- Step 10
- Roll out an inch square piece of white royal icing and using a piping nozzle cut out a larger circle of icing for the eye.
- Step 11
- Carefully put a pupil in each eye and place a set of eyes on each cupcake.
- Step 12
- Divide the rest of the white royal icing into 3 parts and roll out one to a thickness of about 1/8th an inch. With a sharp knife cut the icing into strips. Layer the strips like bandages, leaving the eyes to poke out!
- Step 13
- And there you have them…mummy cupcakes
Use the basic cupcake recipe…