Comfort eating at its best with Chocolate Toasted Marshmallow Vegan Cupcakes! The marshmallows melt inside the vegan cupcakes and go toasty on top. The chocolate drops add wonderful chunks of deep chocolate richness.
Contains: Gluten Preheat oven to 350°F or 177°C
Free From: Soya, Dairy, Eggs, Nuts
Vegan Toasted Marshmallow and Chocolate Cupcakes
- March 28, 2019
- Print this
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 2/3rds cup granulated or caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp chocolate essence (you can do without this - I think it adds some depth of flavour)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 small ripe banana mashed
- 6 tbsp melted Pure Sunflower margarine or any vegan margarine
- ½ cup vegan mini marshmallows
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate drops or chips (Sainsbury's are nice)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I use KoKo)
- Step 1
- Line your muffin tins and preheat your oven.
- Step 2
- Sift flour, sugar, soda and cocoa into a bowl. Always sift your cocoa – otherwise you end up with lumps everywhere.
- Step 3
- Then add vanilla, chocolate essence, vinegar, mashed banana and melted margarine.
- Step 4
- Mix together until combined, then pour in one cup non dairy milk and mix briefly until all ingredients are entirely moist. It makes quite a runny looking batter but don’t worry! With a wooden spoon mix in the chocolate drops and marshmallows.
- Step 5
- Now fill the cupcakes holders about 2/3rds of the way up and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. You do need to keep an eye on these as the marshmallow will burn on the top if you leave the cupcakes in for too long and while that may remind you of bonfire night it’s not a good look in a cupcake!
- Step 6
- Then leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack. I’ve left them icing free as I think they are sweet enough on their own – if you want you can top with Vegan Buttercream Frosting.
If you fancy cookies instead, but like the idea of marshmallows…try these!