This is one of my all time favourite desserts. Sticky Toffee Pudding is packed with flavour, covered in Toffee Sauce and utterly delicious. I use half a banana to aid binding, you can’t taste it, but you can taste the Rum in the background of this pudding. You can have it warm, or cold – either is delicious. I’ve baked this in a cake tin, but you can use a muffin tin if you want individual puddings – just reduce the cooking time to between 20-25 minutes.
Molly loves nuts, so we add toasted Pecans to the Toffee Sauce. Just omit if you prefer. Or add raisins if you like.
Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding with Rum
- 1 Cup Dates
- 1 1/4 Cups Dairy Free Milk
- 1/4 Cup Dark Rum
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Banana
- 1 Tbsp Molasses
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Margarine
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cup Plain Flour
- Toffee Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Treacle
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Margarine
- 6 Tbsp Dairy Free Cream
- Grease and line your cake tin. Preheat your oven to 170°C, 340°F
- Chop the dates and add to a pan with the dairy free milk, vanilla, treacle and rum. Heat to simmering, turn off the heat and leave to one side for 30 minutes
- Cream the vegan margarine and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the mashed banana and mix.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together
- Gently fold in the flour mixture to the creamed fat and sugar with a metal spoon
- Then mix in the date mixture until fully combined. Don't stir too much or the cake will become too dense.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
- To make the Toffee Sauce by combining the margarine, sugar and treacle in a small pan. Heat and bring up to a low boil. Boil for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce covers the back of a wooden spoon. Once thickened, add the dairy free cream, stir and bring back to a simmering point. Be careful not to overheat - boiling over sugar is a bad thing. Add in 1/2 cup chopped Pecans if you wish.
- Allow the cake to cool, to serve warm the Toffee Sauce and pour over individual servings.
You you like Ginger – this is a lovely recipe.