Ginger, Ginger and a bit more Ginger is the way to go with our Vegan Stem Ginger and Walnut Cake. Using our Ginger Cake batter, adding in chopped Stem Ginger and candied Walnuts makes for a really lovely autumn cake. As with all our recipes this cake is dairy and egg free. There is a fair amount of sugar in this cake, so you get a lovely soft sweet topping.
Vegan Stem Ginger and Walnut Cake
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Dark Molasses
- 1/2 Cup Golden Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Dairy Free Butter
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 Tbsp of Ground Flax mixed with 4 Tbsp of water)
- 2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Stem Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Non Dairy Milk
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dairy Free Yoghurt
- 1/3 Cup Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- Preheat oven to 160℃, 320℉ and grease your cake tin
- Add the vinegar and yoghurt to the milk and leave to one side
- Add 1/4 cup sugar to a pan with the Walnuts. Heat gently, and allow the sugar to coat the nuts. Empty on to a plate and allow to cool. Then break them up a bit.
- Add the dairy free butter, treacle, golden syrup and brown sugar to a pan and melt together on a low heat.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with the baking powder, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Ginger and chopped Stem Ginger.
- Add the Ground Flax mixture into the milk and then stir into the flour mixture.
- Mix in the melted sugar mixture.
- Finally add in the chopped Stem Ginger and Walnuts and pour into your tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake comes away from the side of the tin or a toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, and then cool completely with the tin on a wire rack. Serve with vanilla ice cream or caramel sauce.
Other lovely Ginger Recipes here: