Spiced Lentils are a great tasting source of protein, served on their own with some rice or as a side dish to a main meal they are easy to do and a great lunch or light supper. The amount of spice is up to you – this recipe is mild, if you want spicier then simply increase from a teaspoon to one and half teaspoons of Chilli Powder (or more if you’re mad).
The thing I like about lentils is they’re so filling. Red lentils make great soup and melt into curry sauces to add substance, these green lentils are more robust, larger and can stand big flavours.
These Spiced Lentils have Spinach added, but add in Kale, Cauliflower or Peas if you like.
If you fancy some lentil soup here’s our recipe.
Vegan Spiced Lentils
- 1 Cup Green Lentils
- 1/2 Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Mild Chili Powder
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 2 Cups Vegan Vegetable Stock
- Dice the onion finely and fry in a little oil until starting to colour.
- Add all the spices and garlic and fry briefly.
- Rinse the green lentils and add them and the stock to the pan.
- Simmer on low heat for 35 minutes or until cooked. Serve with rice or naan bread.