Quite bizarrely Molly’s guided reading homework a couple of years ago was to make a Vegan Snickerdoodle. Well…off we went to do some research and play around with recipes. Good result all round; these are crisp, buttery (without butter of course) and delicious Vegan Snickerdoodle.
Most recipes call for a mix of sugars for the coating; we liked it best when we stuck with a light brown Demerara sugar mixed with Cinnamon. For these cookies we added in a mix of spices – Chai Spice mix which was Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, and Nutmeg. If you want a more classic cookie use Caster Sugar, and just the Cinnamon.
Free From: Dairy, Egg, Soya
- 1 Cup Dairy Free Butter
- 2 1/4 Cups Self Raising Flour
- 1/4 Cup Corn Flour
- 1 1/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Dairy Free Milk
- 1 1/2 Tsp Chai Spice or just ground Cinnamon if you prefer
- 2 Tbps Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Demerara Sugar
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon or Chai Spice
- Preheat your oven to 170℃, 350℉. There is no need to grease the baking sheet.
- Mix the ingredients for the Chai Spice together and put to one side.
- Cream the Dairy Free Butter and Caster Sugar together until light and fluffy, add in the Vanilla Paste and add in the Dairy Free Milk.
- Sift into the creamed sugar the two Flours, Chai Spice Mix, Cream of Tartar and Soda. Mix to a stiff dough
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Put the Cinnamon Sugar on a large plate
- Using a teaspoon scoop up some dough and roll it in your palm to create a ball, and roll in the sugar mix.
- Place about 6 balls of cookie dough on the baking sheet - they do spread!
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, and store in an airtight container.
Some other fab cookies here: