Boozy Vegan Chocolates are the best so enjoy our Vegan Rum Truffles. They just are. Not so great for the little ones perhaps but these are my favourite. A few tablespoons of rum makes the chocolate come alive. Several coatings of dark chocolate over the truffle gives a nice firm shell of chocolate to bite into.
Vegan Rum Truffles are perfect with an espresso after dinner.
Do be careful when choosing your chocolate – you’re looking for no less than 70 cocoa and make sure there are no traces of milk etc in chocolate you buy. I prefer Pacari Chocolate as its very high quality.
Dairy Free Rum Truffles
- March 21, 2019
- Print this
- 150g Dark Chocolate – I use Green and Blacks
- 8 tablespoons Coconut Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 tablespoons Rum
- For the Coating
- 150g Dark Chocolate
- Step 1
- Grab a pot, and fill about 1/4 full with water. Pop on a medium heat and put a metal bowl on top making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Into the bowl add the chocolate (broken into small pieces). Melt slowly stirring as you go. When the chocolate is melted add in the vanilla, coconut cream and Rum – mix to incorporate. Set aside to cool.
- Step 2
- Once the mixture has solidified a bit you can make your truffles. Take a teaspoon sized chunk of the mixture and roll into a ball quickly with your hands. You will end up with hands covered with chocolate
- Step 3
- or you can use light weight, see-through medical gloves from Boots if you prefer. The liquid content of this mixture is higher than the other recipes on AllergyMums so these truffles will be a bit sticky.
- Step 4
- Put the rolled truffles onto a baking tin that has a lightly greased piece of greaseproof paper on it and keep going until you have used all the mixture. Now pop them in the fridge to firm up a bit. After an hour or so you can take them out and give them another quick roll in the palms of your hands. This will even out the texture and they’ll be ready to dip. This picture shows before and after the second roll. You can see that the truffle on the right is much smoother.
- Step 5
- Rum Truffles – before and after second hand roll
- Step 6
- The Coating
- Step 7
- First thing to do is grab another baking sheet and line with parchment paper that has been very lightly greased with vegan margarine.
- Step 8
- Tempering the chocolate gives a nice shiny appearance and a crisp chocolate coating. I admit this took me several goes to get right. So many recipes say put the chocolate back on the heat to get the temperature back up after the cooling period. This never works for me as I get the temperature too high and the chocolate has a marbled effect.
- Step 9
- Take 80g of chocolate and break it into small pieces. Take the other 20g and grate it or chop it up finely.
- Step 10
- Now put the pot back on the stove, make sure you’ve still got a decent amount of water in the pot, and pop the bowl on top again making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Melt the 80g of Dark Chocolate in the bowl. Using a thermometer keep an eye on the temperature of the chocolate – it should get to 50 C, 122F but not higher. Take it off the heat and put 1/3rd of the melted mixture into a bowl by your side. Add in the rest of the grated chocolate and stir until it’s all melted and your chocolate has cooled to 29C, 82F. Now add in the melted chocolate you’ve left to one side and the temperature should rise to 29C 85F.
- Step 11
- Once melted it’s time to dip. Put a truffle on your fork
- Step 12
- lower it into the chocolate and use a spoon to pour chocolate over the truffle. Tap the fork with the spoon to get rid of extra chocolate. This helps keep the shape. Have a tray lined with grease proof paper ready and using a toothpick push the truffle off the fork (only push at the bottom on the truffle so you don’t disturb the chocolate).
- Step 13
- I like to double dip these ones – it makes for a thicker chocolate coating which I think really works well. You do need to wait until the chocolate coat had solidified before doing the next dipping tho’.
- Step 14
- Repeat until finished. Eat within 4-5 days.
If you fancy some Triple Sec – then check out our Vegan Triple Sec Truffles