Vegan Rice Pudding is a simple, comforting pudding. You can pack it with all sorts of flavours if you like, or just stick with a bit of Vanilla. It’s lovely hot or cold; if you are reheating Vegan Rice Pudding you can add in a splash of dairy free milk to loosen it up if you like.
Consistency is a matter of taste, some people like a rice pudding that is more ‘custardy’ than others so the non dairy milk content of those recipes is higher. The type of rice is also up for debate. I’ve used Pudding Rice in our recipe, but I think any decent Risotto Rice would produce a similar result. I’ve seen recipes using Basmati Rice but I’m not convinced. But then, we like our Vegan Rice Pudding to have a bit of bite to it.
For this rice pudding we’ve added Orange Zest, Cinnamon and a handful of Raisins. You can omit the raisins and flavourings and opt for 2 tbsp of desiccated Coconut if you prefer.
Don’t be afraid of adding a bit more milk if you prefer, you can add in more as you cook without issue. Obviously you can’t go overboard but an extra 1/4 cup is fine. Don’t be tempted to use cans of Coconut Milk for the ‘non dairy milk’ part as it’s too thick. A nut milk would be nice, or Oatley.
If you fancy another super easy pudding check out our Chia Pudding Recipe.
Vegan Rice Pudding
- November 27, 2020
- Print this
- 4 cups non-dairy Milk. We used KoKo
- 1 cup Coconut Cream
- 1 cup Pudding or Risotto Rice
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Zest of 1 or 2 Oranges
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Step 1
- Place all the ingredients in a largish pot and give it a good whisk to get rid of any lumps of Coconut Cream
- Step 2
- Bring to a low simmer and start stirring. Don’t let it overboil, or get too hot as the rice will be cooked on the outside but not on the inside
- Step 3
- I’m afraid this is one of those ‘stand over and stir’ dishes. It’s a gentle stirring you’re after, not continuous or brisk. Just enough to keep things moving
- Step 4
- It takes 25-30 minutes to cook fully. You can do other things in the kitchen at the same time,but you need to be constantly walking past and giving the pudding a stir
- Step 5
- If you want a looser pudding add in another 1/4 non dairy milk.