These Vegan Raspberry Wreath Cookies are adorable biscuits for Christmas. A lovely Vegan Lemon biscuit with Raspberry Jam in the middle, topped with melted vegan marshmallow and coconut. A fabulous cookie for kids that are allergic to Dairy and Egg. Just be sure to check that you get egg free marshmallows for the topping. I do some without the coconut topping as I find the cookies last longer without the soft marshmallow on top. Also it makes them a bit less sweet. So I do some fancy for whatever the occasion is (decorating the tree this year) and some plain just to eat in the coming week. You can just leave them as separate biscuits as well if you like.
I used a mix of pink and white marshmallows as that’s what I had in the cupboard, if you like, just use white ones.
If you have a set of cookie cutters that have shapes cut out, as well as a simple backing cutter then great. If not use circular cutters of different sizes to get the effect. Frankly with the coconut you can’t really see the tree or star shape so a simple circle would be just as effective. I got a nice set of cutters with various shapes for about £10-£12 off of Amazon. Look for the description Linzer and you’ll get decent suggestions.
Vegan Raspberry Wreath Cookies
- 2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sifted Icing Sugar
- 3/4 Cup plus 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter Flora or Naturli Blocks are best.
- 2 Lemons Zested
- 1 Tbsp Dairy Free Milk
- 1 Tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 Cup Raspberry Jam
- 1/3 Cup Vegan Marshmallows
- 1/2 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- Preheat your oven to 160℃, 320℉
- Add the flour, sugar, and lemon zest together in a mixer. Add in the vegan butter and mix until it starts to look like bread crumbs.
- Add in the Lemon Extract and the Dairy Free Milk and mix until you've a soft dough. Bring it together with your hands, and give it a quick kneed to produce a smooth dough.
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill for one hour.
- Roll out on a floured surface to a thickness of about 5 mm. Cut equal numbers of simple circles, and the top cookie with the cut out. Or cut out only circles and use a smaller circle to cut out a centre piece in half the cookies.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, put a bowl on a pan of water and gently melt the marshmallows. The pan should not touch the water. A low simmer will do. You may have to whisk the marshmallows near the end of the heating process.
- Gently warm the Raspberry jam in a small pot.
- Pour the Desiccated Coconut onto a plate.
- To assemble. Put 1/2 tsp on jam onto a circle cookie. Take a cookie that has the centre cut out, carefully dip in the Marshmallow and then dip into the Coconut. Place on top of the cookie with the Raspberry Jam and put to one side.
- You can also skip the marshmallow stage and just have the cookies with jam in the middle. These are also nice with Vegan Lemon Curd in the centre, or just plain.
Other great Christmas Baking ideas: