It’s that time of year when Pumpkin is a key ingredient in baking and recipes. It’s no different in our house – Pumpkin cupcakes, brownies and an increase in the use of Cinnamon and Nutmeg. These are super easy Vegan shortbreads – cut into Halloween shapes for a bit of fun. If you like – you can pipe a face on the ghosts and outline the wings of the bat in black. I’ve keep these plain, with a demerara sugar topping instead.
One thing about using cookie cutters to create shapes – if there are any pointy bits…like spider legs for instance…you have to be super careful with the baking or the thin bits get burnt. That’s why I like shapes like the ghosts or the bats. The cookie is a pretty solid shape and cooks at the same time.
Vegan Pumpkin Shortbread
- 3/4 cup Dairy Free Butter If you're okay with Almonds, then Naturli is really good
- 1/3 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups Plain Flour
- 1/4 cup Fine Semolina
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin Puree Not Pumpkin Pie filling!
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 170°C 345°F
- Beat the diary free butter until it goes a light colour and then beat in the caster until the mixture is combined and a bit fluffy
- Mix the flour, semolina and spices together
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until you've a soft dough. It doesn't take long. Chill for 30 minutes
- Roll out onto a floured board, about 1/2 inch thick and either cut into rectangles or use whatever cookie cutter you wish. Sprinkle with a bit of Demerara sugar or Granulated sugar to give a bit of a sweet crispy topping
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. If you've pointy or think bits on the cookies (cats legs for example) then keep an eye out to make sure the thin pointy bits don't burn. Cool on a wire wrack and store in an airtight jar.
If you fancy some other cookie recipes take a look here: