I love Vegan Pumpkin Pie – such an Autumn dish. Most traditional recipes call for condensed milk, which obviously we can’t have due to our dairy allergy. In order to make a great egg and dairy-free pumpkin pie I’ve gone for Coconut Cream instead. Coconut Cream is a great replacement as the consistency is firm and without eggs to bind that’s always a consideration for vegan baking. So here’s our vegan pumpkin pie recipe – enjoy a taste of autumn that’s dairy and egg free.
Free From: Egg, Dairy, Soya
Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- 2 1/2 Cups Canned Pumpkin Make sure you don't get pie filling - you're just after straight old Pumpkin
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Cream
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Cornflour
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup If you don't have this just add in another 1/4 cup brown sugar, or 1/4 cup Treacle for a darker pie
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 heaped tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 heaped tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/8 tsp Finely Ground Black Pepper
- Either a portion of our Vegan Pastry or a Block of Jus Rol Shortcrust Pastry (Dairy Free)
- Preheat Oven to 350ºF or 180ºC.
- So this is really the simplest pie recipe ever - mix all the ingredients together in a mixer until fully combined.
- Prepare your pie dish by rolling out the pastry and lining your pie dish - remember you don't grease pie dishes or you'll get a tough pastry, I try to make the crust pretty but I don't seem to have that flair so I flatten with a fork. I also made little leaves, using a cookie cutter and baked them on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 180°C, 350°F.
- Pour the Pumpkin mix into the pie dish even out with a spatula. Cover the rim of the pie with tin foil to ensure that the pastry rim doesn't burn
- Bake for 55-60 until set.
- Cool then refrigerate for 4 hours and decorate with the leaves, and serve with Vegan Whipped Cream.
If you fancy a fruit pie check out our other recipes: