We had a spare pineapple (as you do) as a result of Molly’s yr. 8 art project. So we had to do something with it – why not make cake?? So we did, and we were delighted by this. Really moist, and delicious – making it with pineapple juice makes all the difference.
Made even better (if that’s possible) by a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Free From: Dairy, Egg, Soya, Nuts
Vegan Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- February 28, 2019
- Print this
- 1 small pineapple
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup Pineapple Juice
- 6 tbsp non-dairy margarine (melted – I do it for 30 seconds in the microwave)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Step 1
- Prepare the pineapple. Using a sharp knife cut off the top and bottom on the pineapple. Then cut away the thick skin and cut into thinnish slices (1/4 inch). Using the point of the sharp knife cut out the core in each slice (if you have one of those nifty thingy’s that core fruit then this will be faster for you)
- Step 2
- You’ve prepared the pan so sprinkle 3 tablespoon of dark brown sugar on top of the grease proof paper (which you’ve lightly greased with dairy free margarine).
- Step 3
- Don’t put the sugar all the way to the edges or it will stick to the spring form pan at the sides. Arrange the pineapple slices – one in the middle and the rest around the side in a circle. You may have to cut, and adjust to get a nice pattern.
- Step 4
- Now make the cake batter.
- Step 5
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, apple cider vinegar, and salt together.
- Step 6
- Add in the melted margarine and vanilla and give it a good stir.
- Step 7
- Add in the pineapple juice and mix to incorporate.
- Step 8
- Carefully pour the cake mixture on top the pineapple and bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Step 9
- Cool in the tin for ten minutes.
- Step 10
- Then put a plate over the top of the cake tin, and invert the cake onto the plate in one quick motion.
- Step 11
- Undo the spring form part of the pan, lift off the lid and carefully take off the grease proof paper from the top of your cake. For reasons known only to God I took a photo with the grease proof paper on the cake, but not off. Under the paper is a lovely glossy brown sugar coating on the cake.
- Step 12
- Cool and serve with vegan caramel sauce for extra indulgence.