Its taken longer than it should have to come up with a good vegan pastry recipe – but I’ve finally got one I’m happy with. It’s light and fluffy and holds its shape perfectly.
This is a great vegan pastry for pies – we particularly love Strawberry and Rhubarb!
Vegan Dessert Pastry
- August 17, 2020
- Print this
- 2 2/3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable fat - Trex is good
- 7-8 tablespoons cold non-dairy milk like Koko
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Step 1
- I find this pastry is best made in a food processor but you can do by hand if you wish
- Step 2
- Make sure the non-dairy milk is chilled and do build in enough time to chill the pastry for 30 minutes after you finish making it
- Step 3
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder together
- Step 4
- Measure the fat and then add into the flour in ‘chunks’ or tablespoons. Next using the pulse on the food processor quickly mix until the flour and fat looks like breadcrumbs. If doing by hand use a pastry cutter or two knives and work as quickly as you can. Don’t over mix.
- Step 5
- Now mix in the milk, one tablespoon at a time until you have a pliable pastry and chill for thirty minutes
- Step 6
- Use for fruit pies, or omit the sugar for savoury dishes.