Okay I know that most fruit pies are vegan, but I’m talking about a dairy free pastry that really works. Our vegan pastry recipe is great – simple to make and gives a great result. Here is one of our favourite recipes ever.
Vegan Pastry Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie
You can use any fruit you fancy – just use 5 1/2 cups of fruit, 1/3 cup plain flour and 2/3 cup granulated sugar. We like our pies tart!
Here is the link to our pastry recipe to use as the base.
Vegan Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie
- One portion Vegan Pastry
- 3 Cups Chopped Fresh Rhubarb
- 2 Cups Chopped Fresh Strawberries
- 1/3 Cup Plain Flour
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat to 425°F or 215°C.
- Make the pastry and chill.
- Divide the pastry in two and roll it out onto a floured board to a slightly larger size than your pie dish. Fold the pastry in two and gently move it to the pie dish. Pat down the pastry carefully so it fits into the pie dish perfectly and trim the edges.
- Roll out the top half of the pastry and have it ready to put on top of the fruit filling.
- Chop the fruits up, and mix them with the flour, sugar and vanilla.
- Put the fruit into the pie dish and top it with the second half of the pastry - again I like to fold the pastry in half and gently unfold it over the fruit.
- Seal the pastry by pinching the edges, or use a fork.
- Brush with non-dairy milk and use a sharp knife to cut small slits in the pastry for the steam to escape.
- Cover the edges of the pie with tin foil so the edges don't burn.
- Bake at 425°F, 215°C for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the foil for the last ten minutes so the edges brown.