Citrus cupcakes are lovely, a bit ”fresher’ than chocolate and lighter. I know the normal combination with Poppy Seed is Lemon, and you can certainly swop the orange for lemon if you like, but I think the orange works well. This dairy and egg free recipe doesn’t call for any non-dairy milk; instead juice is used which adds a nice flavour. These Vegan Orange Poppy Seed Cupcake is a lovely spring cupcake which is great topped with Vegan Buttercream.
Free From: Dairy, Eggs, Soya
Contains: Gluten, Poppy Seed
Preheat oven to 170° C, 350°F
Line your muffin tin so you don’t have to faff around later.
Vegan Orange Poppy Seed Cupcakes
- 4 1/2 tbsp Dairy-Free Margarine
- 2/3 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Plus 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Orange Flavouring (I like Orange Blossom)
- 3 1/2 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- Cream the sugar and margarine until light and as fluffy as vegan margarine gets!
- Add vanilla and orange flavouring and mix.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix briefly.
- Mix in the orange juice and mix until you have a smooth thick batter – this doesn’t take long.
- With a wooden spoon mix in the poppy seeds.
- Fill the muffin liners up to about 2/3rds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then finish on a wire rack.
- I then decorated it with orange butter cream.
If you’re after a Vegan Chocolate Cupcake check out our basic cupcake recipe here: