Love olives, love bread, so naturally the two go together for our Vegan Olive Flat Breads. These are simple flat breads to make and they go perfectly with a light lunch of hummus and grilled vegetables. These Vegan Olive Flat Breads are also perfect with marinated lamb, or kofta’s. As they have one rise only they are pretty quick to make.
I’ve added slices stuffed olives. I like that the pimento’s separate out in the mixing and spread throughout the bread. But do feel free to add plain olives, or a mix of black and green if you like.
Once the bread has risen, roll it out lightly, cut into pieces, stretch or roll into shape and bake in a hot oven. They’re done in about 10 minutes. This recipe makes between 8-10 flatbreads depending on how big you make them.
These are great with hummus!
Vegan Olive Bread
- 540 grm Bread Flour (you can use plain if that's what you have)
- 1 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 packet Fast Acting Yeast (7grm)
- 340 ml Warm Water
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 100 grm Sliced Green Olives
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the sliced olives to the flour mixture.
- Measure the warm water, add the yeast and set to the side for 10 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to the water and yeast mixture.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour and using your hands bring it into a ball.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in a greased bowl, and cover it with greased cling film and a tea towel.
- Leave to rise for 45 to 50 minutes. It should double in size. It doesn't need to be somewhere 'warm' but it does need to be out of drafts.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C 420°F.
- Lightly roll out the dough and cut it into 8 pieces, gently stretch or roll the dough - dusting with a bit of flour if need be.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes on a lightly greased baking sheet until puffed and brown.