I love oatmeal cookies, traditionally a bit less sweet than other cookies so they really appeal. These Vegan Oatmeal Raisin cookies hit the spot nicely – soft, chewy and with a bit of sweetness from the raisins. The ‘shortening’, or Trex, adds the chewiness but you can make with just dairy free margarine if you can’t get Trex (or similar).
Free From: Dairy, Eggs, Nuts
Preheat oven to 180°C, 350°F
Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1/4 Cup Trex Vegetable Fat
- 3/4 Cup Dairy-Free Butter
- 1 Cup Lightly Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Heaped tsp Golden Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3/4 Cup Raisins
- 1/4 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 2 1/4 Cups Big Oats
- 1 1/4 Cups Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Cream the sugar and fats together until fluffy.
- Add in the golden syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and give it a good mix to incorporate it with the creamed sugar mixture.
- Add in the flour, raisins and oats and mix until you have a pretty stiff batter.
- Using a teaspoon shape the batter into balls and flatten slightly.
- Space them on a greased baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden on the bottom.
- Cool on a wire rack.
For when you fancy something chocolate do take a look here.