We love brownies in our house, that fudgy soft centre is so moreish. These Vegan Miso Brownies are easy to make, and taste amazing. We use marshmallows to get a perfect, dense centre, as I don’t think egg replacer does the trick. Adding Miso in gives a depth of flavour and a slight saltiness which is lovely.
We make all our vegan brownies with the same method – melting the dairy free margarine, marshmallows and chocolate together into a lovely glossy mixture. It makes quite a thick batter which you need to smooth over once you tip it into the tin. We bake them for about 25 minutes, if you do 5 minutes more then they are a bit more cake like, and less soft in the middle. The Miso adds saltiness, so we don’t add any salt to our Vegan Miso Brownies as its not needed.
If you like, instead of mixing the Miso into the batter, you could just swirl it on top once you’ve put the batter into the tin. I don’t do that as I think it makes the Miso too strong, but it does look pretty!
Vegan Miso Brownies
- 8 oz Good Quality Dairy Free Dark Chocolate - 80% cocoa is good.
- 1/3 cup Dairy Free Margarine
- 1/3 cup Trex Vegetable Shortening (just use another 1/3 cup margarine if you don't have this)
- 1/2 cup Vegan Marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups Caster Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Paste
- 3 tbsp White Miso
- 1/3 cup Plus 4 tbsp of dairy free milk - we use Oatley
- Preheat your oven to 170℃, 340℉. Grease your baking tin, and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
- Grab a pot, fill 1/3 up with water and pop a heatproof bowl on top. Make sure the water isn't touching the bowl. Put on a low heat.
- Pop the margarine, Trex, vegan marshmallows and chocolate into the bowl (break up the chocolate) and allow it all to melt together. I find I need to whisk the mixture to get rid of any little lumps of marshmallow. It will take a good 15 minutes.
- Once it's all combined nicely, mix in the Miso and the Dairy Free milk.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Combine the two either in a mixer, or just using a wooden spoon, until you have a glossy, thick batter.
- Tip into your prepared baking tin and bake for 30 minutes. Cool in the tin, and then cut into pieces and store in an air tight container.
Here are some other options for amazing Vegan Brownies: