Vegan Mac and Cheese is a great meal – you can add all sorts into the dish to make it a bit more substantial. We add roasted cauliflower (15 minutes in a hot oven) and Spinach into ours. But you could add in Kale, Roast Sweet Potato, Roasted Butternut Squash or Mushrooms. I wouldn’t add in something watery like Courgette as it would go mushy.
Vegan Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Now that Vegan Cheese is so good, it’s lovely to be able to mix cheeses to get a different texture and taste. We mix Cheddar and Mozzarella, with Nutritional Yeast to get that depth of flavour. You could sprinkle a bit of Paprika on top if you fancy a bit of colour, or breadcrumbs if you like that texture.
If you fancy a casserole instead of a pasta dish check out our Vegan Corn Rice and Cheese Casserole!
Free From: Dairy, Eggs
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 1 Small Onion (finely diced)
- 3 Cups Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Cup Grated Violife Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Dairy-Free Margarine
- 400 g Pasta
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 350F.
- If you are adding in roasted vegetables now is the time to pop them in the oven. Roasted butternut squash and/or cauliflower at 200°C or 400°F for 15-20 minutes.
- Melt the margarine in a heavy-based saucepan and sauté the onion until soft and slightly coloured. Add in the yeast, grated cheese, cornflour, mustard and lemon juice and stir.
- Grab a whisk and slowly add in the milk whisking while you go. Whisk the sauce while it heats up…you’re not looking to get it boiling, but rather hot enough to have the cheese melt and make a lovely thick sauce that will cling to the pasta. Heat it to the point that it's bubbling a bit at the edges.
- Once done you can cover it with cling film so a skin doesn’t form.
- Boil the Pasta as per instructions (about 9 minutes). Don’t overcook the pasta or you will end up with sludge.
- Combine the sauce with the pasta, and stir in any vegetables you are adding.
- Pour into a greased ovenproof dish, sprinkle a bit more Mozzarella on top and heat through at 180°C 350°F for about 25 minutes.