Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake is such a classic cake to enjoy – delicious whether you have a crunchy topping (which I prefer) or a glaze drizzled over top. Packed with fresh lemons this Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake has a great citrus flavour. This is a such a simple cake to make, you can whip it up easily and have a great treat in no time.
I prefer a crunchy topping, so the syrup I make isn’t heated – it’s lemon juice and granulated sugar. If you don’t want a crunchy topping then use icing sugar and heat the mixture. Then, when you poke holes in the top of the cake the mixture will be absorbed fully – you can top with a glaze if you want to but personally I think it makes it all too sweet.
Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 1 1/2 Cups Self Raising Flour
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 Tbsp Melted Vegan Butter or flavourless oil
- 2 Zest of two lemons
- Juice of two Lemons (about 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 Cup Dairy free Milk - the Lemon Juice and Milk need to make a cup of liquid
- Juice of one Lemon
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C, 350°F (or 160°C for a fan oven). Line a loaf tin with baking parchment, leaving enough paper hanging over the sides of the tin to easily lift the cake out when baked.
- Zest your Lemons and pop in a large bowl
- Juice the Lemons and put the juice into a measuring cup, add enough Dairy Free milk to make a cup. Add in the Apple Cider Vinegar and leave to one side.
- Add the flour, sugar and baking soda to the bowl with the zest and mix to combine.
- Then add the melted vegan butter, plus the vanilla and milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle of the cake.
- While the cake is baking, make your syrup and leave to one side. Just combine the juice of one Lemon with 1/4 cup granulated sugar. If you don't want a crunchy topping heat the mixture until the sugar dissolves.
- As soon as the cake is out of the oven, grab a toothpick and stab it all over. Drizzle the syrup overtop and allow to soak in. Cool the cake completely in the tin. Once cool you can lift the cake out by the baking parchment, the cake will be easy to handle by this point so you can move it to a plate, or a wire rack if you prefer.
If you fancy other Vegan Baking recipes that have lots of Lemon here are some other recipes to check out: