We love vegan lemon curd in our house – can’t imagine making it with eggs. This is lovely in tarts, injected into cupcakes, put onto thumb nail biscuits instead of jam, layered with jelly and vegan whipped cream…you get the idea!
Now we love a tart vegan lemon curd and this is tart. If you want something sweeter, then I’d increase the sugar to 1 cup. In the recipe I say fresh lemon juice is best, which is true. But if I’m honest I tend to lose the will to live after zesting two lemons and juicing 3 or 4 lemons, so I top it up with a few shakes from the bottle of lemon juice in the fridge.
Free From: Dairy, Eggs, Soya
Here it is in our lemon cupcakes!
It’s also lovely on meringues, or layered with jelly.
Vegan Lemon Curd
- February 12, 2021
- Print this
- 200 ml Lemon Juice – Fresh is best but us bottled if you have it
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 120 ml water
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup corn flour plus 1 tablespoon (increase if you want a firm curd by 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy cream
- 3 tbsp non-dairy margarine
- Step 1
- Whisk the lemon juice, water and sugar together
- Step 2
- Place in a large pot on a medium heat to melt the sugar
- Step 3
- Put the cornflour in a large bowl and 1/3 cup at a time whisk the liquid into the corn flour – once you’ve put in about 2/3rds of a cup of the liquid, and you’ve whisked to a lump free constancy, then you can add the cornflour mixture back into the pot. Whisk for a few minutes then turn the heat up a bit
- Step 4
- The mixture will bubble, change to a darker colour. Whisk to make sure no lumps form and let it bubble for about 5 minutes
- Step 5
- Take off the heat – add in lemon zest, non-dairy cream and non-dairy margarine and whisk again. You should have a nice consistency. Once it cools it becomes more set so either get working now if you are injecting it into cupcakes or if you are planning to drizzle it over cake. You can quickly pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds if it gets a bit too solid once cool.