I admit to loving lemon. I prefer it to chocolate, which in our house makes me an outcaste. These Vegan Lemon Cookies are right up my street. Lemon zest and juice combine to make a light, cakey, zingy (is that a word?) cookie. We don’t use Lemon Extract as I think it gives an odd, chemical taste. Also…I like to use the entire lemon – having a bald lemon or two hanging around isn’t ideal so we add the juice from one of the lemons to the recipe. I hope you love our Vegan Lemon Cookies as much as I do!
Vegan Lemon Cookies
- 2 tbsp Demerara Sugar mixed with 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar for rolling the cookies in.
- 1/2 Cup Dairy-Free Margarine
- 3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- 3 Lemons Zest
- 1 Lemon Juice or enough to make 1/4 Cup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (I prefer Paste)
- 1 3/4 Cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat your oven to 170℃ or 350℉
- Mix the coarse sugars together, and pop them on a plate for later.
- Zest the lemons.
- Juice one lemon and see if you get 1/4 cup juice, if you need to juice another lemon to make up 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice.
- Cream the Caster Sugar and Margarine until a light yellow colour, and the mixture is a bit fluffy.
- Mix in the lemon zest, juice and Vanilla.
- Add in the flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix to a pliable dough. Using a teaspoon roll the dough into balls, flatten slightly, and cover the sugar mixture.
- Put the cookies on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom. Cool on a wire rack.
If you fancy some Lemon in a cake form take a look at our lovely Vegan Lemon Cupcake Recipe.