Vegan Shortbread is one of our favourite Christmas cookies. We just love it – and it’s so simple and easy to make. This time around we’ve rolled our Vegan Shortbread into little balls, done the ‘thumbprint’ thing to create a dent in the middle and filled it with Strawberry Jam. To make them a bit more Christmassy we’ve added some edible glitter before baking. Super simple, super delicious and a great addition to ‘traditional’ shortbread.
If you’re able to have nuts then Vegan Almond Shortbread is amazing, rolled in icing sugar it’s a lovely sweet treat. You can jump to the recipe by clicking the image, or clicking here.
If you fancy a traditional vegan sugar cookie we’ve a great recipe that’s pretty much foolproof.
Anyway, now back to our Vegan Jam Shortbreads! Do use any jam you like, Raspberry works well as does marmalade if you’re in the mood for something more tart. Just don’t use anything with too many big chunks of fruit in it. Also don’t overfill your ‘dents’. If you do, the jam bubbles over the edge. Now for sure it still tastes nice, but they don’t look as pretty!
Free From: Dairy, Eggs, Nuts
Vegan Jam Shortbreads
- November 6, 2020
- Print this
- ¾ cup non-dairy butter - if you're okay with Almonds then Naturli is a great option
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour sifted
- ¼ cup fine ground semolina
- Strawberry Jam
- Step 1
- Beat the dairy free margarine until it goes a lighter colour. Beat in the caster sugar until combined and the mixture looks fluffy.
- Step 2
- Then stir in the flour and semolina. I need to use my hands to bring it all into a ball.
- Step 3
- It should be a soft dough, which is very pliable.
- Step 4
- Take about a teaspoon of dough and roll into a ball, place on the ungreased cookie sheet and using your index finger, or thumb create a dent for the jam
- Step 5
- Add 1/2tsp or so of the jam of your choice. Just make sure not to overload or the jam will go over the sides when cooking
- Step 6
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes and cool on a wire rack. You end up with a flaky, wonderful, rich shortbread with a dollop of jam in the middle. We also add edible glitter to make them look pretty.