This is just a bit of fun for Halloween – basic gingerbread men with icing decoration to look like skeletons. You could add dripping dots of red icing if you’re after blood.
The basic gingerbread recipe is great for biscuits anytime of year.
Vegan Gingerbread Skeleton Men
- October 30, 2018
- Print this
- 500 g Self Raising Flour
- 150g Pure Sunflower Margarine
- 1 tbsp Allspice
- 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon egg replacer, plus 3 tablespoons water (or whatever your egg replacer says for 3 eggs)
- 225g Golden Syrup
- Step 1
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and spices together, then add the margarine and mix until it’s the consistency of a breadcrumbs. It took about 4 minutes in a mixer on high for me.
- Step 2
- Add in the egg replacer, water and Golden Syrup and mix until you’ve a firm dough (about 5 minutes)
- Step 3
- You may need to ‘bring it together’ with your hands.
- Step 4
- Roll it out 1/4 inch thick on a floured board and cut with gingerbread man shaped cutter
- Step 5
- Bake at 170°C, 350°F for about 8 minutes and let cool on a wire rack completely.
- Step 6
- Make a simple icing with icing sugar and water. You want a thick consistency so think 1/2 sifted icing sugar, 1 tbsp of water. Using a small circular piping spout pipe the skeleton shape onto your gingerbread men. Add black food dye to the mixture after you’ve done all the skeletons and make mouths and eyes. Leave to dry completely and store in a single layer in an airtight cookie tin.
These are really cute cookie cutters if you need some!