It’s not Christmas without Vegan Gingerbread Men! Fun to decorate and delicious to eat these are a cute addition to any Vegan Christmas Cookie collection. We like strong gingerbread, if you don’t, reduce the the ginger to 1 tsp. I make our Vegan Gingerbread with Treacle, so it’s a strong, dark gingerbread. If you’d prefer something lighter use Golden Syrup or a bit of both!
Normally Vegan Gingerbread Men are thin and crispy – which is great. We like ours a bit thicker and softer, but that’s just personal preference. If you want your Gingerbread Men to break crisply then roll the dough thinly. The cookie dough gets sticky with handling, so use a bit more flour on the rolling pin and board. It won’t affect the appearance as any flour dusting on the cookies will bake off.
If you fancy Vegan Shortbread here is our recipe.
Vegan Gingerbread Men
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Dairy-Free Butter
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp Treacle
- 2 tbsp Dairy-Free Milk
- Preheat your oven to 175°C 340°F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Slowly melt the sugar, treacle and dairy-free butter over low heat and whisk to ensure there are no little lumps of butter.
- Stir the sugar mixture into the flour and mix completely. Add the milk and mix to finish the dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out thinly on a lightly floured pastry board, cut out the gingerbread men, reroll and cut cookies until the dough is finished.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until firm and cool on a wire rack.
- Make a thick icing with 1 cup of sifted icing sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1- 2 tbsp of water. Mix til thick but pipeable, adding a little bit more water if needed. Divide into two bowls and colour one red (or green). Load into a piping bag with a thin nozzle, twist the bag at the top and decorate as you wish. If that's too much of a faff, you can always just buy 'writing icing' that is available in supermarkets these days.