This is a lovely version of Vegan Chocolate Chip cookies – 3 tsp of Ground Ginger added to the mix. Chocolate and Ginger is a great combination, and it’s a nice addition particularly in the Autumn.
I’ve decorated these as Halloween Cookies – bought myself some googlie eyes, and melted some marshmallows to make the webs. You can use this affect on anything Halloweeny – Cupcakes or Cakes would look great with webs. Its super easy – just melt marshmallows, wait until they are cool enough and handle and using your hands pull into strings. It’s messy – yes. And you have to work reasonably fast before the marshmallow resets. If it does, just briefly reheat and start again.
Vegan Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 Cups Plain Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 Cup Dairy Free Dark Chocolate Chips I use Sainsbury's
- 3/4 Cup Vegan Margarine
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Fat - Trex
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbps Vanilla Paste
- 3 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Cup Dairy Free Milk - I use Oatley
- 3/4 Cup Small Marshmallows I add a Tsp of Vanilla as well
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 350°F and grease your cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda. Mix in the Chocolate Chips and put to one side.
- Cream the sugars, vanilla and fats until light and a bit fluffy. Mix in the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs then add in the dairy free milk to create stiff dough. You can add in a tablespoon more of dairy free milk if needed. I find I need to bring it together with my hands.
- Use a teaspoon to spoon to form balls, flatten slightly and put onto the prepared cookie sheet. These cookies spread quite a bit so don't put them close.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- When they come out of the oven they will be puffy, whack the baking tray on the counter top and they will flatten down to be nice and chewy. Now push in the googly eyes, and then cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the marshmallows in the microwave for 15 -25 seconds until melted, or put a pan on the stove, fill 2/3rds with water and place a metal bowl on top. Melt the marshmallows over a low heat (I like to add vanilla). Allow to cool enough that they can be handled and create strings with your hands and decorate the cookies. It's messy, it's fun, and great to do with the kids. If the marshmallow gets hard just reheat gently.
If you fancy Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies here you go!
If you’re after other Halloween Cookies look here: