We adore Vegan Brownies in our house – I’ve two Chocolate lovers in the house so we’re baking them pretty frequently. The middle of these is properly squidgy, and chewy and full of chocolate. Feel free to add in nuts if you like, or (gasp) raisins (sometimes I throw in 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut into the mix if I fancy a change).
You can serve your Vegan Brownies straight from the tin if you like, or if you want you can break them up, and layer them with dairy free ice cream, dairy free whipped cream and some dairy free chocolate chips or fruit for a pretty dessert.
Free From: Dairy, Egg, Soya
- 8 Oz Good Quality Dark Chocolate - at least 70%
- 1/3 Cup Dairy Free Margarine
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Marshmallows Check your ingredients here - egg is often in Marshmallows so either go for ones that are marketed as Vegan, or read your ingredients
- 1/3 Cup Trex Vegetable Shortening If you don't have any, just use Dairy Free Margarine
- 1 1/2 Cups Caster Sugar Or Granulated if that's what you have
- 2 1/4 Cups Plain Flour
- 1/3 rd Cup plus 4 Tbsp Dairy Free Milk - We use Oatley
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Paste I prefer the paste to the liquid as it's more flavour. Obviously use what you have at home
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- Grease and line your cake tin, preheat your oven to 170°C 340°F
- Start off by grabbing a large bowl and placing it on top of a heavy based pan filled1/3 with water. Make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water - Into the bowl add the chocolate (broken up into pieces), the margarine, the vegetable fat and marshmallows. The water should be brought up to simmering point. Melt everything slowly over the heat until you’ve a smooth sauce. Whisk if necessary to get rid of any lumps of marshmallows. This can take a good 10 minutes so don’t rush it
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix briefly and add in the vanilla.
- Whisk in the milk into the melted chocolate mixture.
- Then pour chocolate sauce into the flour mixture and mix until you've a glossy, thick batter.
- Scrap the mixture into the greased cake tin and cook for 30 minutes. The middle of the brownie with sink when it comes out - that's just fine. Cool on a wire rack and cut into individual pieces in the tin.
Feel free to look around some of our other chocolate baking recipes here: