Vegan flapjacks are a great snack. But let’s not kid ourselves, flapjacks are packed with sugar and fat so not exactly healthy. Sure they’ve oats, so that means they are a step up on cake but really they are a treat. One of the good things you can do with flapjacks is add some Chia Seeds, sunflower seeds or even protein powder if you want to increase the nutritional value of your Vegan Flapjacks. Do use Fine Oats – I struggled for ages with flapjacks that fell apart because I used the Jumbo oats we like for porridge. Jumbo oats don’t cut in the same way.
Of vital importance when cooking flapjacks is lining your tin with baking parchment. If you don’t you’ll be prising the flap jacks out of the tin and ending up with ‘lumps’ of flapjacks. I’ve been there, it’s not pretty, it’s not fun.
If you really want to abandon any suggestion of healthiness – then replace with raisins with chocolate chips!
If you fancy cookies instead here is our recipe for oatmeal cookies!
These are super quick to make, bake in 20 minutes and taste wonderful. You can replace the Golden Syrup with Maple Syrup if you wish – it’s just a matter of taste.
- October 1, 2020
- Print this
- 12 oz fine oats (gluten free oats work perfectly well)
- 8 oz dairy free margarine - I use Vitalite
- 8 oz soft, dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/3 cup Raisins
- 2 tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- Step 1
- Preheat your oven to 180°C 350°F
- Step 2
- Prepare your tin – line with greaseproof baking parchment and lightly grease the sides
- Step 3
- On a low heat combine the margarine, brown sugar and golden syrup, and whisk until there are no lumps of sugar or margarine
- Step 4
- Mix in the vanilla, oats, and seeds
- Step 5
- Pour into the prepared tin and spread out evenly. Bake for 20 minutes
- Step 6
- When done they are slightly puffed up so I flatten them by pressing down with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Step 7
- Allow to cool, but cut into squares while still warm. When cool remove from the baking tin and pop them in a cookie tin.