Vegan Egg Fried Rice is a great supper, you can add in whatever vegetables you like rather than follow our recommendations (we’re not fans of peppers but I imagine they work well). Our Vegan Egg Fried Rice has courgettes, peas and mushrooms but edamame beans, beansprouts and carrots are all good additions.
To create those lumps of ‘egg’ we’ve used Crackd Egg replacer. Its great for dishes like this (and for making scrambled eggs or omelettes) – it creates that egg like consistency that’s so hard to replicate. It also freezes well so I buy several bottles at once so I’ve got it on hand. You can get it at the Vegankind Supermarket.
The secret to getting that ‘take away’ flavour at home is getting your hands on some Shaoxing Wine. You can get it in most large supermarkets these days so it’s not too hard to get some. It really does make a huge difference to the flavour of the dish.
We top the dish with fried tofu – we think the crispy coating is a great contrast to the rice and gives the dish a bit more protein. You don’t have to add Tofu if you don’t want to but we think it makes a great addition. Here’s the recipe:
Vegan Egg Fried Rice
- 75 g Firm Tofu
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1 tsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing Wine
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil (or plain if you are allergic)
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 5 Cups Cooked Rice
- 2 Crackd Eggs (fried)
- 1 Small Onion (chopped)
- 1 Clove Garlic (sliced)
- 1/4 Chilli (diced)
- 1/2 Courgette (diced)
- 1/4 Cup Peas
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms (sliced)
- Cook your rice, drain and allow to cool. About 2 cups of uncooked rice will give you 5 cups of cooked rice.
- Cut the Tofu into cubes, mix the Paprika with the cornflour and toss the Tofu in the mixture. Add some plain oil to a frying pan and fry the Tofu until crisp on all sides. I let it fry quietly while I do the rest of the dish so make sure it's medium heat, not high.
- Create your egg by frying 2 eggs worth of Crackd egg and put to one side. Frying Crackd egg takes about 15 minutes so doing it at the same time as the rice is a good idea. Both can sit on the side to cool until needed.
- Grab your wok, or a heavy-based frying pan and heat the Sesame oil or more plain oil.
- Fry the onion, add in the garlic and chilli and fry briefly.
- Add in the courgettes and mushrooms and fry until coloured. Add in peas to heat through and then add in the cooked Crackd Egg.
- Add the rice, break up any big lumps and fry it.
- Add in the Soya Sauce, Mirin and Shaoxing Wine and stir on high heat. Keep an eye on the Tofu to make sure it's cooking evenly.
- Serve the rice in bowls, topped with the cooked Tofu.
Vegan Chilli is also a great no meat option.
If you’re after something with a bit of meat – try our Ginger Beef fried Rice.