We love ginger in our house; it’s a real favourite so we decided we needed a good ginger cupcake and here it is – our Vegan Crystallised Ginger Cupcakes. Crystallised ginger is delicious – very sweet yes, but with a lovely firm texture and it add a nice hot kick. It is found in most grocery stores now do it shouldn’t be too hard to find. We like it chopped up added to the batter as it gives a lovely sweet hit in a cupcake. I’ve used dark molasses in this recipe but if you prefer something lighter then go for a light molasses or even golden syrup.
Free From: Dairy, Egg and Soya
Vegan Crystallised Ginger Cupcakes
- March 23, 2019
- Print this
- 6 tablespoons of dairy free margarine
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 ½ cup self-rising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice (or ground cloves if you prefer)
- 3 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk - I use Koko
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped crystallised ginger
- Finely chopped zest of one lemon
- Step 1
- Put the vinegar in the milk and put to one side.
- Step 2
- Cream the margarine, brown sugar and molasses
- Step 3
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, and all spice. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Step 4
- Combine the flour mixture with the creamed margarine and sugar mixture. Slowly add in the milk mixture and the yoghurt until you’ve a thick smooth batter. With a wooden spoon stir in the crystallised ginger.
- Step 5
- Fill the muffin cases about 2/3rds full and bake for in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Step 6
- Top with lemon buttercream.For the Buttercream I have added finely chopped zest of one lemon, juice of half a lemon (1 1/2 tablespoons) and 1 tsp lemon extract. Perfect.
If you’re after a ‘never fail’ Vegan Chocolate Cupcake recipe here it is!