A classic pudding – so simple, yet so delicious. Making it vegan means that you don’t need to bake your Vegan Crème Brulee, once the custard is made its just about popping it in the fridge to set before topping with sugar.
Most Crème Brulee’s are topped with Caster Sugar, but I like using Brown Sugar as it gives such a great taste when popped under the grill.
Vegan Crème Brulee
- 1 1/2 Cups Dairy Free Milk - I like coconut
- 3 1/2 Tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 Cup Coconut Cream
- 1/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Paste
- 10 Tsp Light Brown or Caster Sugar 2 Tsp for each Brulee
- First, make a paste with the Corn Flour - Measure out the milk and then put 2 Tbsp in a bowl and whisk with the Corn Flour to make a smooth paste.
- Add the cold milk and the sugar to the pan and bring to medium heat. Whisk constantly.
- Add in the coconut cream and the vanilla. Continue to whisk as the mixture bubbles away.
- A little at a time add in the Corn Flour mixture and whisk to incorporate. Keep whisking as the custard simmers nicely and thickens. Whisk in the Turmeric or Food colour. This is only to make it a bit yellow like egg custard. Leave it out if you're happy with a white custard. Simmer the custard until it covers the back of a spoon and holds its shape when you use a small spoon to draw a line through the custard. It will take a good 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Pour into ramekins (depending on size this recipe makes about 5) and chill for 4 hours.
- Once chilled top with brown sugar (or caster if you prefer) and pop under the grill to melt the sugar. Once the sugar melts (a few minutes), pop back in the fridge to set.
Here are some more lovely Vegan Desserts: