This is a lovely Vegan Cranberry Frangipane Tart – I’ve used Cranberries for a Christmas feel but Raspberries, Blueberries or Apples would be lovely too. I didn’t add any sliced Almonds to our Vegan Cranberry Frangipane Tart but you can add 1/4 cup of some toasted sliced Almonds and sprinkle over the top. I think this tart is great the next day, once the Frangipane has settled a bit.
I use a tart shell with a removeable bottom so that I can just slide tart out of the shell easily.
Vegan Cranberry Frangipane Tart
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1/2 Cup Ground Almonds
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter - use a block like Flora or Naturli
- 1/3 Cup Sifted Icing Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cold Water
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Ground Almonds
- 1/4 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 Tbsp Corn Flour
- 4 1/2 Tbsp Vegan Butter - melted
- 1/2 Cup Aquafaba (I use Oggs)
- 1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tsp Almond Essence
- 2 Tbsp Rum or Dairy Free Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 4 Tbsp Cranberry Jam
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cranberries to top
- In a food processor put the flour, salt, ground almonds and icing sugar. Use the pulse button to mix the dry ingredients together. Then add in the chopped up butter and pulse until it looks like bread crumbs.
- Using the pulse setting drizzle in the water, pretty quickly it will start to come together. Stop pulsing, take the dough out, form into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.
- You can make the pastry by hand it you wish - combine the dry ingredients and then using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it looks like bread crumbs. Then bring together by drizzling the water into the flour/butter mixture and quickly bring it together with your hands. It just takes longer and anything that uses your hands can end up melting the butter a bit.
- Once chilled, roll out on a floured board. Line your tart tin with the pasty, leaving some pastry hanging over the edges as the pastry shrinks. Put bake proof paper in the base of the tart, and add your baking beans.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 160℃, 325℉. After 20 minutes take the tart out, remove the baking beans (just lift out using the corners of the baking parchment) and pop back in for another 10 minutes to brown the bottom of the tart.
- Take the tart shell out of the oven, and with a sharp knife slice off any pastry hanging over the edges. That way you get a nice even pastry shell. Allow to cool while you make the filling.
- Whip the Aquafaba to nice thick peaks - it's takes about 10 minutes to do this.
- Add the sugar, melted butter, almond essence and vanilla and whisk briefly.
- Gently fold in the ground Almonds and Flour, and then add in dairy free milk or Rum.
- Cover the base of the tart with the Cranberry Jam, Pour the Frangipane on top and smooth out. Dot with fresh Cranberries.
- In a preheated oven at 180℃, 350℉ and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
Here are some other great dairy and egg free desserts to try: