Molly’s been asking for Vegan Courgette Cake for ages, of course you can put it in a loaf tin and call it Courgette bread if you prefer (you’ll need to bake it for a good 50 minutes if you do that. This Vegan Courgette Cake is topped with Demerara Sugar to give a satisfying crunch on top. There is no need to add icing. We put stewed apples in as well to keep it moist and delicious. Perfect with a cup of tea.
Free From: Dairy, Eggs, Nuts
Vegan Courgette Cake
- June 21, 2020
- Print this
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Packed Shredded Courgette- I found one Courgette was enough but this depends on the size
- 2 stewed Apples
- 1/4 cup Dairy Free Milk
- 1/4 flavourless oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed plus 6 tbsp warm water mixed)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Step 1
- Preheat your oven to 180°C, 350°F and grease a cake tin lightly.
- Step 2
- First off stew the apples. Peel, core and chop two apples. Pop them in a pan on a low heat with 2 tbsp of water. Heat gently until the apples are cooked. Mash slightly and put to one side
- Step 3
- Make your flax egg by mixing the ground flaxseed with the water in a small bowl and leave to one side
- Step 4
- Grate the courgette – you can use a food processor if you like but I just use an old fashioned grater.
- Step 5
- Mix the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Salt together.
- Step 6
- Add in the non-dairy milk, oil, Vanilla and the Flax egg and combine.
- Step 7
- Mix in the cooled apply mixture and the courgette with a wooden spoon.You will have a dense batter
- Step 8
- Pour the batter into a prepared tin, even out the top and sprinkle 2 tbsp of Demerara sugar on top.Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
If you fancy something sweeter take a look at our Lime and Coconut Cupcakes.