I love vegan cornbread, it’s great with chilli, and also a fab snack. A bit crumbly, but moist our Vegan Cornbread has a bit of Vegan Cheese added for a bit of extra taste. This is a simple, easy and delicious recipe – if you’ve not tried cornbread before then you’re in for a treat.
Cornbread is fabulous with Chilli. Chilli is one of those wonderfully warming, comforting meals that’s perfect in winter and autumn- do take a look at our Chilli recipe here.
- 1 1/4 Cup Cornmeal/Polenta
- 1 Cup Self Rising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1/2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Dairy-Free Margarine
- 1/2 Cup Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Corn Kernels
- 1/2 Cup Grated Vegan Cheese (we use Violife)
- 1 Flax Egg (1 tbsp flax meal plus 3 tbsp water left to soak for 10 mins)
- Grease a cake tin, and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F 200°C.
- Add the lemon juice to the non-dairy milk and put to one side.
- Mix the flour, polenta, baking soda, baking powder and salt together until combined.
- Add in the brown sugar and dairy-free margarine and mix.
- Slowly add in the dairy-free milk, vinegar and flax egg.
- When combined nicely stir in the corn and cheese with a spoon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Cool in the pan and cut into squares.