Vegan Banana Bread is a great snacking cake to have in the house – great warm out of the oven, but nice toasted with a bit of vegan butter. We’ve added coconut and some nice dark Rum to this recipe and then glazed our Vegan Rum and Coconut Banana Bread with a simple icing sugar and rum mixture. I always seem to bake Vegan Banana Bread when we’ve Banana’s that we’ve let go too brown for snacking, one of these days I’ll bake it just because it’s delicious. We’ve added Walnuts, but do use Pecans if you prefer or leave out the nuts completely if you’re allergic.
Banana Bread takes a while to bake as it’s much denser than a sponge, but its worth the wait. It’s also the best cake to pop into lunch boxes as it holds its shape nicely and isn’t covered in buttercream.
Vegan Coconut and Rum Banana Bread
- 4 Ripe Banana's
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Molasses or Dark Treacle You can use Golden Syrup instead
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 3/4 Cup Walnuts or other nuts
- 3/4 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 4 Tbsp Rum
- Preheat your oven to 170°C, 340°F. Grease your baking loaf tin. I like to put a strip of greaseproof paper across the middle with the ends hanging out the side to make lifting the loaf out easier
- Mash up your Banana's
- Melt the margarine (I just zap it in the microwave). Add the margarine, brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla to the mashed banana's and mix. Add in the Rum and mix.
- Mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut and baking soda with the flour
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and combine, then add in any nuts you are using.
- Pour into your prepared loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. After the first 25 minutes, cover the loaf with a loose piece of tin foil to prevent burning.
- Cool in the tin on a wire rack for 15 minutes, using the grease proof paper lift the loaf out of the tin and allow to cool fully on the wire rack.
- Once completely cooled sift 1/4 cup icing sugar into a bowl and dribble in 1 Tbps of Rum mixing with a fork as you go. You want a simple glaze that you can drip over the Banana Bread. Just load up the fork and zig and zag back and forth over the load.
If you’re after other loaf cake recipes take a look here: