Lime and coconut is one of our favourite taste combinations. Zesty Lime with sweet coconut just make us feel that summer is here. Adding lime curd to the middle of these Vegan Coconut and Lime Cupcakes makes these extra delicious, but beware, once you’ve add the curd they need to be eaten straight away. If you’re not going to have the batch attacked by a hungry hoard then store the cupcake in an airtight tin, store the curd in the fridge, and assemble as you go.
If you want to go wild; top the cupcakes with Vegan Buttercream Frosting!
Vegan Coconut and Lime Cupcakes with Vegan Lime Curd
- 3/4 Cups Non-Dairy Milk (coconut milk works great!)
- 4 tsp Lime Juice
- 3 Limes Zest
- 1 1/2 Cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil (use melted non-dairy margarine if you have no coconut oil)
- 1 Cup Dessicated Coconut
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Coconut Flavouring (omit if you can't get any)
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat Oven to 375°F, 170°C and line a cupcake tin.
- In a bowl mix the non-dairy milk and lime juice - leave to one side to curdle for 10 mins.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave (about 20 seconds) or in a pan on the stove and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix: flour, sugar, salt, bicarb of soda, baking powder and coconut and combine.
- Add the melted oil, vanilla, coconut flavouring and non-dairy milk mixture.
- Combine but don't get carried away with mixing a lot.
- Fill cupcake cases evenly and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- If adding in lime curd then using a sharp knife cut out a cone shape from the middle of the cupcake.
- Add a tablespoon of lime curd and replace the cone. Press lightly down to spread the curd.
Here is a link to the curd recipe – just change the Lemon, for Lime juice and Lime zest: