We love cookies – and Christmas is that time of year when cookies are everywhere. These Vegan Christmas Spice Cookies are lovely – packed with Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, and Cloves – what’s not to love about these vegan chewy cookies that taste of Christmas?
Free From: Dairy, Soya, Egg, Nuts
Vegan Christmas Spice Chews
- 3 Cups and 1 tbsp Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 Cup Dairy-Free Margarine
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Fat
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 Cups and 2 tbsp Brown Sugar (not packed in!)
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- 3 tsp Orgran Egg Replacer
- 4 tbsp Lukewarm Water
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Mace
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
Candied Peel of 2 Oranges
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Dairy-Free Margarine
- Grease your baking sheet.
- Make the candied peel by zesting two oranges and popping the zest in a pan with 2 tablespoons of water. Bring to a boil and boil for about 5 minutes to soften the peel. Add in 2 tbsp of brown sugar and ½ tsp dairy-free margarine and continue to boil until a nice syrup forms. Probably another five minutes. Pour out onto grease-proof paper to cool. It will be sticky, if you continue to boil you will get a crunchier candy.
- Cream the fats and sugars together along with the vanilla (creaming means beating together until the mixture turns light and fluffy).
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and all the spices.
- Whisk the egg replacer in with the water.
- Now combine the egg replacer mixture with the creamed sugars, then mix in the flour. With a knife scrape the candied peel off the paper and add to the dough. You will get nice swirls of orange throughout the dough. You will get a firm dough that you can roll into balls.
- Take a tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball and slightly flatten it before putting it on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until lightly brown. If you want a crisper cookie then bake another 2 minutes. To increase the chewy factor whack the tray on your countertop when you take the cookies out. Nice cracks will form on the top and they will sink and become chewy. Cool for five minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
If you’re looking for a nice cake for Christmas look no further than our Vegan Orange Bundt cake!