A great combination – vegan chocolate cake and toffee – my favourite cake recipe plus toffee. I love toffee…caramel…all of it. I wanted to jazz up our standard vegan chocolate cupcake recipe and decided that toffee was the way to go. It makes a nice sauce to put on top of vegan vanilla ice cream too!
Love toffee, this works as a sauce for ice cream as well.
This is my ‘go to’ recipe for chocolate or vanilla cupcakes. Easy to do, works beautifully every time and you can add other things (like toffee) and the batter copes beautifully.
Vegan Chocolate Toffee Cupcakes
- February 27, 2019
- Print this
- Toffee Sauce
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine (Pure Sunflower)
- 1/4 cup Golden syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp melted soya or sunflower margarine
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- Step 1
- Toffee Sauce
- Step 2
- I just put it all in a pot and bring to the boil. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally until you get a beatiful, thick syrup consistency. It will get more thick as it cools.
- Step 3
- Step 4
- Sift flour, sugar, soda and cocoa into a bowl. Make three wells in the mixture and add vanilla into the first, vinegar into the second and melted margarine into the third
- Step 5
- Briefly mix with a spoon then pour one cup dairy free milk over and mix with a fork until all ingredients are entirely moist. It makes quite a runny looking batter but don’t worry!
- Step 6
- Now – till your cupcake liner so they are 2/3rd full. Take a teaspoon of toffee sauce and swirl it into each cupcake.
- Step 7
- Bake for 15-17 minutes (test with a toothpick). Leave the cupcakes in the tin for 5 minutes, then move to a wire rack. While still warm drizzle another teaspoon of toffee sauce on top for a glistening, toffee wonderful cupcake.