A great combination – vegan chocolate cake and toffee – my favourite cake recipe plus toffee. I love toffee…caramel…all of it. I wanted to jazz up our standard vegan chocolate cupcake recipe and decided that toffee was the way to go. It makes a nice sauce to put on top of vegan vanilla ice cream too!
This is my ‘go to’ recipe for chocolate or vanilla cupcakes. Easy to do, works beautifully every time and you can add other things (like toffee) and the batter copes beautifully.
Vegan Chocolate Toffee Cupcakes
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 tbsp Melted Margarine
- 1/4 Cup Golden Syrup
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Cider Vinegar
- 6 tbsp Melted Diary Free Margarine
- 1 Cup Dairy Free Milk
- I just put it all in a pot and bring it to a boil. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally until you get a beautiful, thick syrup consistency. It will get thicker as it cools.
- Preheat oven to 350° F or 170°.
- Sift flour, sugar, soda and cocoa into a bowl. Make three wells in the mixture and add vanilla into the first, vinegar into the second and melted margarine into the third.
- Briefly mix with a spoon then pour one cup dairy-free milk over and mix with a fork until all ingredients are entirely moist. It makes quite a runny-looking batter but don't worry!
- Now - till your cupcake liner so they are 2/3rd full. Take a teaspoon of toffee sauce and swirl it into each cupcake.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes (test with a toothpick). Leave the cupcakes in the tin for 5 minutes, then move them to a wire rack. While still warm drizzle another teaspoon of toffee sauce on top for a glistening, toffee wonderful cupcake.
If you don’t fancy Chocolate, then check out our Vegan Lemon Cupcake Recipe!