Having allergic children is never easy – especially when it comes to baking and events like birthday parties. We have to send our kids with stuff they can eat so that they are not excluded. It means no picking something up on the way, it means always planning ahead, always being ‘sorted’. So there are a few, simple recipes that always work and make life much easier. This is my favourite ‘go to’ vegan chocolate cake recipe – we’ve updated it, changing some of the sugar to brown, and adding in flax so it holds together a bit more.
A simple recipe for vegan chocolate cake that you can use for everyday cakes, or make into something special by making layers, adding jam, vegan chocolate chips, or making cupcakes. If you like – add in a cup of smashed up Vegan Oreo cookies, or a teaspoon of mint for a change.
Free From: dairy, egg, nuts, soya
Preheat oven to 350°F or 177°C
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cup Self Raising Flour
- 1/3 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/3 cup Soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 cup Dark cocoa
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tbsp Ground Flax
- 1 tsp Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Non-Dairy Milk We use Oatly
- 6 tbsp Melted Vegan Margarine Or 6 tbsp flavourless oil, but if you use flavourless oil...well, it's flavourless.
- Preheat your oven, and pop your cupcake liners in the tin
- Measure the non dairy milk, add in the flax and the vinegar and set to one side
- Put the flour, baking soda and sugars into a bowl and mix well. Sift in the coca and mix.
- Melt the margarine (about 20 seconds in the microwaves does the trick), and add to the flour mixture and stir. Add in the vanilla.
- Pour in the milk mixture and mix to incorporate.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3rds full and bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes them move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- July 5, 2022
- Print this
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup granulated or caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp chocolate essence (you can do without this - I think it adds some depth of flavour)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp melted Pure Sunflower margarine
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I use KoKo)
- Step 1
- Line your muffin tins, or lightly grease and flour your cake tin.
- Step 2
- Sift flour, sugar, soda and cocoa into a bowl. Then add vanilla, chocolate essence, vinegar, and melted margarine.
- Step 3
- Then briefly mix with a spoon then pour in one cup non dairy milk and mix briefly until all ingredients are entirely moist. It makes quite a runny looking batter but don’t worry!
- Step 4
- For cake, bake in a lightly greased pan for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. For cupcakes bake for about 15 minutes. Now leave the cupcakes in the tin for 10 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
There are lots of variations you can try – if we’re in the moods for even more chocolate we add in 2/3 cup of chocolate chips.
Top with any flavour of icing you like – we often cumble up cookies into the icing before popping it on top, or do a plain icing with chocolate chips or honeycomb added in. Here’s our basic recipe Vegan Icing.
If you fancy a gluten free version try these https://www.allergymums.co.uk/gluten-free-vegan-double-chocolate-cupcakes/