Vegan Chilli is a great supper. We like it with three types of beans, plus vegan mince. Without the mince its too much like tomato bean stew (now there’s nothing inherently wrong with bean stew, but it’s not Vegan Chilli is it!) . Serve with corn chips, vegan cheese and vegan sour cream or yoghurt and it’s wonderful. For this recipe we used Vivera mince as I think the texture works really well – some vegan minces are a bit too mushy.
When you’re making Vegan Chilli the spice level is up to you. We like ours on the mild side, but if you prefer just add in some fresh chilli’s, or increase the amount of Chilli Powder to 3 tsp or use Hot Chilli Powder.
Free From: Wheat, Meat, Eggs, Dairy
- September 14, 2021
- Print this
- 1 tin Kidney Beans, 1 tin Cannellini Beans, 1 tin Black Beans
- 1 pack Vegan Mince - I use Vivera as I like the texture
- 45 g Dark Chocolate
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 5 cloves minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ground Coriander
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder (we use mild)
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1/3 cup Passata (smooth tomato sauce)
- 3 tbsp soft Brown Sugar
- 330 ml Beer
- 250 ml Vegan Stock
- 1 tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 red pepper
- 6 roasted tomatoes
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- Step 1
- Preheat your oven to a high temperature like 200°C 400°F. Cut the red pepper into pieces, and halve the tomatoes. Roast in a hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool, peel and puree together.
- Step 2
- Add a bit of olive oil to the pan and fry the onion and garlic until just translucent, then add in the Vegan Mince and brown
- Step 3
- Once brown add the spices, chocolate, and sugar
- Step 4
- Add the Passata to the pan along with the tomato puree, pureed peppers and roast tomato mixture and cinnamon sticks.
- Step 5
- Add the beans, briefly stir and mix in the beer and stock. Season with salt and pepper
- Step 6
- Leave to bubble away for a 30 to 40 minutes on the stove top on a low heat. Serve with rice, on jacket potatoes, or as a filling for Taco’s.
If you’re in the mood for a nice vegan pasta dish – you can’t go wrong with our Vegan Pasta Bake!