Is it a muffin, or a cupcake? I think it’s the icing that makes the difference! We love these Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes, they are light, fluffy and packed with flavour. Topped with a simple lemon buttercream and they are really lovely. We don’t add nuts into our Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes as we’re allergic, and Molly’s school is nut free so that means she can’t take them in for snacks. But if you’re okay with walnuts then do add in a 1/3 cup of chopped nuts to the recipe.
We leave them plain most of the time, as we’re keen on the cake and don’t like to overwhelm it with too much sugary icing. Also Molly suffers from Reflex and sugar is a trigger, that means that plain cake is a better treat for her than something with a tonne of icing. If you want to ice them, then this buttercream recipe is lovely, just add in the zest of a lemon and replace 2 tbsp of the milk with lemon juice.
If you fancy something chocolate – then have look at our http://www.allergymums.co.uk/vegan-banana-caramel-chocolate-cupcakes/. They are a lovely combination of caramel and chocolate.
Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- September 9, 2021
- Print this
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 6 tbsp melted dairy free margarine
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Step 1
- Line your muffin tin, and preheat the oven to 180°C 350°F
- Step 2
- Add the vinegar to the non dairy milk and leave to one side.
- Step 3
- Measure out the dairy free margarine and melt in the microwave.
- Step 4
- Mix the flour, sugars, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and baking powder together. Mix in the grated carrots
- Step 5
- Add in the margarine, milk and vanilla. Mix until incorporated. You don’t want to mix it for too long, just enough to have a smooth batter.
- Step 6
- Using a measuring cup fill the muffin tins 2/3rds full and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and ice or leave plain if you prefer.