Waffles are a real treat at breakfast time. They are simple to make, and you can pack all manner of fruit into them. This time we caramelised some chopped up Apples and mixed them in the batter, and then sprinkled some on top. Waffles are super quick to cook – only 3 minutes with the waffle iron. We’ve drizzled with Maple Syrup but go wild and add Vegan Whipped Cream if you like.
Vegan Caramelised Apple Waffles
- 1 1/4 Cup Self Raising Flour
- 2 Tbsp Oats
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Melted Vegan Margarine
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Mashed Banana
- 1 Cup Dairy Free Milk
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax
- 1 Apples - peeled and chopped up
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar for the Apple
- 1 Tbsp Dairy Free Margarine for the Apple
- Add the Flax and Apple Cider Vinegar to the Dairy Free Milk and put to one side
- Plug in your waffle iron, spray with non stick spray and leave to heat up
- Peel, core and chop up an Apple. Melt the margarine and brown sugar in a small pan (you can add some Vanilla if you like). Heat til bubbling and add the chopped Apple. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the Apple is caramelised, but not squishy.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, oats, baking powder until combined. Then add in the mashed banana
- Add the melted margarine and vanilla to the milk. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Mix half the Apple into the batter and reserve the rest for popping on top of the Waffles
- I use about 3/4 cup batter for each waffle. Pour onto the waffle iron surface, close, and cook for 3 minutes. Remove carefully.
- Top with the left over Apples and Maple Syrup
If you’re looking for some other Vegan/Non Dairy Breakfast ideas here you go!