These are properly delicious vegan brownies. Rich chocolate and wonderful caramel mixed into the batter. The caramel sauce quantities make enough to have sauce left over for pouring onto the vegan brownie if you wish.
Free From: Dairy, Egg, Soya, Nuts
Preheat oven to 170ºC, 350ºF
Vegan Caramel Salted Brownie
- March 28, 2019
- Print this
- Caramel Sauce
- ½ cup Pure Sunflower margarine
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ½ cup golden syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup melted margarine (I just fill up the cup and pop it in the microwave)
- 2 tsp Orgran egg replacer plus 4 tbsp water - whisked together
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk - I used Koko
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate drops or chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Step 1
- Caramel Sauce
- Step 2
- You need to pay attention to the sauce so don’t wander off to do anything else and leave it. If you have a thermometer keep it ready by the side. Do have a bowl or jar ready to pour the sauce into.
- Step 3
- In a heavy bottomed pan place the sugar, syrup and margarine over a medium heat. As the margarine and sugars melt whisk the mixture until smooth. As the mixture starts to warm up grab a wooden spoon and give it a stir to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil but make sure it doesn’t boil over! The mixture will start to thicken (keep giving it a good stir). Grab your thermometer and check the temperature. You need to keep an eye on the temperature to make sure it doesn’t get too hot. So check often. Once you reach 230F then you’ve reached the right temperature for a nice sauce.
- Step 4
- Take it off the heat and add the coconut cream, vanilla and salt. Whisk and pop back on the heat and bring back to the boil for a minute or two – take off the heat when you reach 230F.
- Step 5
- You should have a nice thick sauce – if it’s a bit thin keep it on the heat for a minute or two more. Pour the sauce into a contained to cool down and don’t touch the sauce as it’s blisteringly hot!
- Step 6
- If you don’t have a thermometer then have a glass of cold water ready by the side. Dribble a few drops of sauce into the cold water – if you can form a soft ball with a few flicks with your finger then it’s the right consistency for a sauce. Put the sauce to one side while you make the brownies.
- Step 7
- Step 8
- Mix together the flour, cocoa, salt and sugars
- Step 9
- Melt the margarine in the microwave. Add the melted margarine and egg replacer to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Step 10
- Add in the non dairy milk and mix again.
- Step 11
- With a wooden spoon mix in the chocolate drops.
- Step 12
- Tip the batter into the prepared cake dish and smooth over. Take about 1/4 cup of caramel sauce and put dollops of caramel on top of the batter then mix in lightly and then drizzle the rest of the caramel over top.
- Step 13
- Bake for 20 minutes and cool in the pan on top of a wire rack.
- Step 14
- You will have caramel sauce left over – heat it up and pour over the brownies, or save and use on vanilla ice cream