These Vegan Candy Cane Cookies are a bit of fun for Christmas. If you don’t want to spend the time turning the dough into Candy Canes then they are just as delicious when rolled and cut into Christmas Shapes.
Couple of key tips for your Vegan Candy Cane Cookies:
Make sure you pulverise your Candy Cane or the big chunks will melt and break up the cookies.
If you don’t want to add in Candy Cane then you can just add Peppermint for a simpler cookie.
Most recipes say twirl the red around the white, I find that difficult so I press the two ropes together and then twist. Its not as perfect a look, but I’m happy with it.
I go for the width of a pencil for the final rope of dough. You don’t want it too thick or when it cooks and spreads you lose the shape.
If you want them all exactly the same size, grab a ruler. I ummm…don’t. Do try to keep them similar in size for the cooking time. I go for 8 minutes.
Vegan Candy Cane Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Dairy Free Butter - I like Flora or Naturli Blocks are best
- 1/2 Cup Sifted Icing Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tsp Peppermint
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 Tbsp Ogg Egg Replacer ( or whichever egg replacer you use)
- 2 Tbsp Pulverised Candy Cane
- 2 Tsp Red Food Dye - Gel is best
- In a mixer cream the Vegan Butter and Icing Sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add in the Vanilla, Salt, Crushed Candy Cane, Peppermint, and Oggs and mix to combine.
- Then mix in the flour, bring the dough together and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Divide the dough in two (I weight it). Then add the Red food die to one ball and mix with your hands until you've got the red colour you want. Then divide each ball into four pieces.
- Preheat your oven to 170℃, 340℉
- Flour a board, and with you hands roll out one piece of red dough into a long rope shape. Then do the same with a plain piece of dough.
- Pinch the two ropes together, and gently roll them so they are one piece of dough.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces, roll each piece a couple of times, then twist it and shape into a Candy Cane shape. This takes a fair bit of time.
- Bake the Candy Canes on a baking sheet lined with silicon, or baking paper for 8 minutes. Leave to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes and then lift off and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
Other great Christmas bakes: