Vegan Butter Pecan Ice Cream is a wonderful Ice Cream, the dark brown sugar combines with the vanilla in the base custard to make a delicious, rich ice cream. You can leave it there if you wish, and omit the Pecans, or add in other nuts if you prefer. We toast the Pecans in brown sugar and butter and then mix some into the ice cream, and sprinkle some on top.
We think the combination of whipping cream, and normal cream gets the right texture for ice cream, and I’m going to redo the other ice cream recipes on the site to be the same mix. Previously I used Coconut Cream, which is nice, but a bit hard. The picture you see here is after churning, but before freezing. We liked the soft consistency, and were in an ‘ice cream now’ sort of mood.
You don’t need an ice cream maker, just pop it in the freezer and churn it (mix it) every half hour or so, for two hours. Use a folding motion, rather than a stirring.
Vegan Butter Pecan Ice Cream
- 2/3 cup Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Non-Dairy Cream (we use Oatley)
- 1 cup Whipping Cream (again, we use Oatley)
- 1 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Paste
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar (for the Pecans)
- 2 tbsp Vegan Butter (for the Pecans)
- Chop your Pecans, and in a frying pan melt 2 tbsp of vegan butter, mix in 1 tbsp of brown sugar and add the pecans. Toast for a few minutes until bubbling and the pecans glisten. Put to one side to cool
- In a large pan, whisk all the other ingredients together - both creams, corn flour, vanilla, brown sugar and vegan butter
- Gently heat and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. The mixture will thicken, and once it covers the back of a wooden spoon take it off the heat and allow to cool. Once it's cooled pop in the fridge for an hour.
- When the custard has cooled, it will be thick. Give it a good whisk. Add to your ice cream maker and allow to churn for two hours. Or pop in the freezer and manually churn (give it a good mix -using a folding motion - with a wooden spoon) every 30 minutes over 2 hours.
- When the ice cream is nearly frozen add in the buttered pecans and mix. I keep a couple of tablespoons of the buttered pecans to the side to scatter on top.
Other desserts to take a look at:
If you fancy Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream here is our recipe: