Vegan Brandy Snaps are such a lovely dessert. So pretty and really fast to make. All of our recipes are egg and dairy free due to our allergies and we get great results with Flora Dairy Free Butter and Oatley Whipping Cream. Long gone are the days of whipping up Coconut Cream – Oatley does such a fab job. We just add a bit of sifted icing sugar and Vanilla to the cream and it works wonderfully.
Our Dairy Free Brandy Snaps were made with dark brown sugar, if you want a lighter colour then use light brown sugar. Traditionally it’s Ginger and Brandy that you add to the mix – but feel free to play around. Sometimes we use Cinnamon and Rum instead.
These don’t last long, they start to go a bit sticky so they are best used up within a couple of days – obviously don’t fill them up with cream if you aren’t eating them straight away – that’s very much a last minute job.
I use a palette knife to lift the edges for rolling around the (greased) handle of a wooden spoon. Once it’s lifted I then use my fingers to wrap and slide the Dairy Free Brandy Snap off the handle. It’s a bit hot, but I move fast! You can also grease ramekins and make baskets if you like. Just use 2 Tsp of the mixture instead of one.
Vegan Brandy Snaps
- 3 1/2 Tbsp Dairy Free Butter - Flora or Naturli Block
- 1/3 Cup Loosely packed Brown Sugar (light or dark is fine - it will affect the colour)
- 2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- Zest 1/2 Lemon
- 2 Tsp Brandy (or 1 Tsp Lemon Juice and 1 Tsp Brandy)
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger Or Cinnamon if you like
- 3/4 Cup Oatley Whipping Cream
- 2 Tbsp Sifted Icing Sugar You could add 1 Tbsp of Maple Syrup instead
- 1 Tsp Vanilla You could add Brandy instead.
- Put the Dairy Free Butter, Brown Sugar and Golden Syrup in a pan, and heat til combined. Don't let it boil, just heat it gently and give it a good stir. Stir in the Brandy.
- In a bowl add the flour and zest.
- Combine the melted sugar mixture with the flour and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and preheat your oven to 180℃, or 350℉
- Drop a teaspoon of the mixture onto the baking sheet and spread it out with the back of the spoon. As you go make sure to leave a decent about of space as they do spread a lot as they bake.
- Back for 10 minutes, leave to cool for 1 minute and then lift the edges with a pallet knife and roll onto the handle of the greased wooden spoon. Gently pull the Vegan Brandy Snap off the handle and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Once all the Dairy Free Brandy Snaps are done it's time to fill them. Put the Oatley Whipping Cream in a mixer with a balloon whisk, add in the icing sugar and Brandy. Whip to stiff peaks.
- Choose a piping nozzle that fits into the Vegan Brandy Snaps, and fill with the cream. Eat straight away. You can keep unfilled Vegan Brandy Snaps for a few days in an airtight container but they are best on the day they are made.
Here are some other great Dairy and Egg Free Desserts: