Okay, I admit Vegan Bean Cakes don’t sound exciting. But stick with me here – these are great comfort food. Beans, herbs and mashed potato all combined together in one tasty bundle. Serve with Pineapple Chutney and some Chilli Sauce and it’s perfect. Just grab some rice and salad and you’re done.
Do pop them in the fridge to firm up a bit before frying, just half an hour will do. Otherwise they are a bit delicate when you fry them – it’s doable, but refrigerating them for a bit makes it all easier.
Here’s our Pineapple Chutney recipe – it goes beautifully with these. We added a bit of Chilli Sauce as well as the Chutney, which worked really well but gosh it added to the spice!
Vegan Bean Cakes
- 1 400g Tin Blackeye Beans
- 1 400g Tin Butter Beans
- 200 g Kidney Beans
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 3 medium Mushrooms, diced
- 2 medium Potatoes, diced, boiled and mashed roughly
- 15 g Parsley - chopped
- 15 g Basil - chopped
- 15 g Coriander - chopped
- 1/2 tsp Mild Chilli Powder
- Peel, dice and boil your potatoes, lightly mash and put to one side
- Lightly fry the mushrooms until they have just a bit of colour.
- Tip all the beans into a colander and rinse. Pop them in a bowl, add the chopped herbs and garlic. Give it a good mix and put about 1/4 of this mixture to one side to use as a salad garnish.
- Mash up the remaining beans and herbs, add the oil and chilli powder. Add in the potatoes and mushrooms.
- Form into patties (about 6), and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Fry in a little olive oil for about 3 minutes per side, or until golden. Serve with the reserved beans (toss in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper), Pineapple Chutney and some Rice. We like to drizzle chilli sauce on top too!