For a few shorts years as a child I could eat eggs. I fell in love with Angel Food Cake. Needless to say it’s been off our menu for a good few years…but I tried it with Orgran No Egg Replacer and it worked pretty well and I’m delighted with our Vegan Angel Food Cake. Now I admit that it doesn’t get the height of a egg cake, but it does have a good texture and that nice crisp top layer.
I left this one plain; but do drizzle a glace icing over the top if you like. It would look very pretty with icing dripping down the side. Traditional Angel Food cakes have Almond Extract in them. I’ve done without to keep it nut free; if you want do add in 1/2 tsp.
Vegan Angel Food Cake
- July 5, 2019
- Print this
- 1 cup Self Raising Flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp of Caster Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Orgran Egg White - Whipped into soft peaks
- 1 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Paste
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 375°F, 175°C
- Step 2
- In a large bowl sift flour and the 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp of Caster sugar together.
- Step 3
- Now do the egg whites – blend 90g of Organ No egg with 1/2 tsp Pectin. Mix on high for 5 minutes with 250g of cold water. One tablespoon at a time add in the 3/4 cup Caster Sugar along with the Cream of Tartar, Salt and Vanilla. Continue mixing on high for about another 5 minutes. You should get a frothy mixture that is very much like meringue.
- Step 4
- Sprinkle the flour/sugar mixture 1/4 of a cup at a time onto the ‘egg white’ and gently fold in. Spoon batter into an ungreased tube pan and gently cut the batter in three places with a knife.
- Step 5
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched. Invert onto the funnel to cool completely.
- Step 6
- Decorate or leave plain.