By adding some dairy free coconut yoghurt to this vegan cupcake you get a moister, denser cake. Great when mixed with chocolate and ground almonds. This is a lovely dairy and egg free cupcake, full of flavour and made ‘velvet’ by adding in some red food dye. Do use gels to get the right depth of colour. If you don’t have gels then leave out the food dye. It’s only adding colour, and these taste great whether they are browny red or just straight chocolate and almond.
Vegan Almond Chocolate Cupcakes
- March 28, 2019
- Print this
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 2/3rds cup granulated or caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 ½ tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp chocolate essence (you can do without this - I think it adds some depth of flavour)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp melted Pure Sunflower margarine or any vegan margarine
- About ¾ cup Koko milk or non-dairy milk. Put the yoghurt in the measuring cup, and top up to a full cup with milk.
- 2 ½ tbsp of ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp almond essence
- ½ tsp red food gel
- Step 1
- Line your muffin tins and preheat your oven.
- Step 2
- Sift flour, sugar, soda and cocoa into a bowl. Always sift your cocoa – otherwise you end up with lumps everywhere.
- Step 3
- Then add vanilla, chocolate essence, vinegar, almond essence, ground almonds and melted margarine. Mix together until combined.
- Step 4
- Put the yoghurt into a measuring cup and top up with non-dairy milk until you have a full cup. Pour in and mix briefly until all ingredients are entirely moist.
- Step 5
- Fill the cupcakes holders about 2/3rds of the way up and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Step 6
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Step 7
- If you want you can top with Vegan Buttercream Frosting – I’ve added in 1/2 tsp almond essence and ¼ tsp of red food dye to match the cupcakes.
If you fancy a fail safe plain vegan chocolate cupcake here is our easy recipe.